MORE THAN JUST A FARM HAND

                        MORE THAN JUST A FARM HAND     copyright Frances K. Van Mil

Published in The Upper Room (“Cherished”), Jan.-Apr. & Earthkeeping Ontario, September, 2000.
            “No! Not that way! You twirl them like this, see?” Stifling the tears that sprang to my eyed, I tried again to execute just the right twist of the wrist to twirl the cucumber vines onto the strings to my stepson’s satisfaction.  When I, a kindergarten teacher, married a widowed market gardener, I had to adjust to country life.  I felt incompetent in picking cucumbers and selling cauliflower.  I sensed pressure from neighbours, customers, church and family to be something that I was never meant to be: the perfect farm wife.  A well-meaning neighbor, knowing money was in short supply, brought me a chicken and informed me that I would have to pluck it myself because I had to learn to be a farm wife.  The expectations of others overwhelmed me.
            One day, my husband said, “I didn’t marry you to be another farm hand, you know.”
            What wonderful, healing words! My husband had married me for a love relationship, not for what I could accomplish.  My status was that of a wife, a cherished partner, far above that of a hired hand.    What others thought did not matter.
            The Song of Songs depicts the intimate covenant of love we have with our Lord.  He sees us as a beautiful, loveable bride to be esteemed and treasured.  We see Him as the loving bridegroom Who is worthy of our love, honour and praise.  As we grow in this partnership, loving service will follow.  But, first and foremost, God loves us for who we are, not for what we can accomplish for Him.
Prayer:  Lord, help me to lay down all my striving and bask in you love, knowing that I am your cherished bride.”
Beloved:
 “I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valley.”
Lover:
“Like a lily among the thorns is my darling among the maidens.”
Beloved:
            “ Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest is my lover among the young men.  I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste.  He has taken me to the banquet hall, and his banner over me is love.  Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apples, for I am faint with love.  His left arm is under my head, and his right arm embraces me.”
                                                Song of Songs 2; 1-6 (NIV)
“ All beautiful you are, my darling, there is no flaw in you.”
                                                Song of Songs 4:7



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET