DRAMA OF A DOVE




                                                DRAMA OF A DOVE
It is a beautiful piece of art.  A gift to my husband and me from a dear family member, it hangs in our huge front window, a tribute both to love of family and the talent of a local artist.  A dove, the symbol of peace, carries a small olive branch, as in the Bible story of Noah’s ark.  The dove is simply yet intricately designed, in subtle shades of brown and grey, wings held high. It appears to be flying right out of the picture, as the leaves on the twig in its mouth are carried into the border.  The whole piece is made of a square of bevelled glass, surrounded by a border of sky blue.  The artist’s mark is on the back.
As I was looking at the dove pendant this morning, I thought it looked disappointingly dull, drab in fact.  Where was the beauty?  Where was the shine?  The brown colours melded into the dullness of the weather to make the work look static and lifeless.
Putting the dove out of my mind, I went about my daily tasks.  I did not sit down in the living room again until late afternoon.  As I was drinking my tea, something bright caught the corner of my eye.  The sun had come out and was pouring its light through the glass dove pendant.
Sparkles began to appear: first above, like twinkling stars, then below, like   shimmering ocean waves, seeming to undergird the body of the dove.
First the wings were lit up, then the tail.  Soon the whole scene was blindingly bright, the dove’s face hidden behind a dazzling array of stars: blue, gold, white and pale green. 
Meanwhile, the backdrop had changed with the weather.  The wind had picked up, causing furious movement of the leaves of my crabapple tree behind the glass.  Instead of static dullness, there was a dramatic display of movement and light, as well as the glittering dove.

Ah, what God’s light can do for a simple dove.
It reminds me that when God touches me, I am transformed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET