LIKE A WEANED CHILD...IN PERFECT PEACE


                    LIKE A WEANED CHILD….IN PERFECT PEACE

            Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with his mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me (ceased from fretting).. Psalm 131:2

I wondered what this could possibly mean, until I pictured the baby still nursing or bottle-feeding, and contrasted it with the weaned child.  I realized that the baby is angry, terrified, loudly exclaiming by desperate cries that it needs food to sustain its life.  It does not know or believe that someone who loves it very much is listening for that cry, and ready to quickly respond to it in love.  It certainly does not realize that a whole nursery, change table, diapers, bottles and so much more have been provided just for it, nor that it is a love-child, wanted, expected, and cared for, born for relationship.  Right now, it cannot get past the hunger.
`The weaned child, on the other hand, has learned that Mommy (or Daddy) will soon come to bring the milk or food which it requires.  The weaned child has learned about a love relationship.  It has learned trust.
If my soul is like that of a weaned child, that means that through many experiences I have learned that God will always be there to help me and meet every need.  What a wonderful, peaceful, joyful love relationship we may have with the Lord, knowing this.  And, unlike babies, we understand that Jesus has proven His love at the cross.  So we may trust Him for everything else in our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET