A SHELF WITH A MISSION...

                                                                         A SHELF WITH A MISSION…

              Why am I continually surprised that God, Who is outside time, Who made the heavens, the earth, the oceans and everything in them; would love us enough to bend down, like an adult helping a four-year-old tie his or her shoelaces, and shepherd us through our difficulties – operating efficiently and oh so patiently in OUR time?

              I had a mess.  I mean my charming new dinette, set for tea with guests, was covered with undone projects:  that package for my granddaughter not yet mailed; letters and bills as yet unfiled or answered; the manual for my new sewing machine which I needed help with to set up – well, you get the idea.  Besides that I had two bulging, unsightly boxes of violin and guitar music near the entrance to the living room of my small one-bedroom apartment.

              Checking my mail downstairs, I happened to see a moving-out sale notice on the bulletin board.  Hmmm-two shelves were advertised, with a note that the occupant would be moving south the next Saturday, and asking us to knock loudly on room number *521 to speak with her daughter and view the items.  I became inordinately excited, since I almost never expect to buy furniture without owning a car any more, but within the building – yes, the shelves might just solve my problem, and so easily.  I carefully measured the two possible spaces: a low wide one in the living room to organize my music, and another, tall and narrow, behind the dinette on the kitchen wall, and knocked on the door.

              When I entered the apartment I was surprised to see that the lady, who said her name was *Anne, was someone we all knew very well by sight.  She was a fixture in the main lobby, telling us of her teaching years and talking animatedly with the group at three o’clock every afternoon when the mail came in. I could hardly believe she would be gone in a few days.

              “I’m 83, and my daughter is helping me move south to be nearer to the family,” she said.

I saw that both shelves would fit, and gave the daughter ten dollars for the nicer low one.

              “I’ll clean it up for you and deliver it to your apartment around five o’clock,” the daughter said. 

I gave my apartment number and left.  Back at my apartment, thinking over my purchase, I decided thatI should take both shelves to get my home more organized.  Fishing out more small bills, I hurried back upstairs – after all, there was a sale going on. 

      When I arrived, only Anne was there to take my fifteen dollars.  We chatted a bit, and I was beginning to feel sad at losing her, wishing I had got to know her better.  I was also sensing her anxiety, just as I had been anxious with every big change in my own life. Perhaps I should write this elderly lady a little note or card with a prayer and note of encouragement to help her make the transition from her long-time home to unfamiliar surroundings.  I wish now that I had remembered that God puts people in front of us for us to help and encourage.  I wish I had done more.  But at least I listened.

              Slam. Anne’s daughter had returned, looking a bit harried. I told her that I wanted to take both shelves. “I’ve been frantically trying to find you,” she replied. “The shelf you bought has already been sold!”

Looking around at the moving mess - Persian carpets, boxes, teapots, tables - I could understand the mistake, and told her that I would take the tall narrow one.  We straightened out the money.

              That evening, as I looked at my new, unusually tall and narrow bookshelf, fitting unobtrusively behind my table with all my projects neatly arranged and a shelf to spare, I knew that the Lord had intervened with His perfect wisdom and timing to see that I had got the most useful shelf.  What a transformation!  My table, which doubled as my desk, was prettily set in blue and yellow, with a blue Delft condiment tray, pretty napkins and four quilted sunflower place mats.  My Father had again gone ahead of me to see and provide for my needs.

              In His great love, He had also allowed me to see another widow’s need in the midst of my own, and had planned that both of us would be helped and encouraged.  May I be more alert and ready to bring a comforting Scripture to others in their time of need; to lay hands on the sick in Jesus’ name so that they may recover and know that God is alive and concerned for them; to be ready to serve the Lord in these last days with all my heart.

Casting every care on Him; for He careth for you. 1Peter 5:7 (KJV)

*Both the name and the apartment number have been changed for the sake of privacy.

                                                                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET