A TOUCH OF NEW...

 A TOUCH OF NEW…

I had lost weight. 

But it didn’t show, especially at the bank where I worked, because I was still wearing the same old pleated skirts and sweaters as before. I was twenty-four.

Browsing through all the city dress shops in search of some new clothes, I happened to walk into a store, new to me, called “The Tall Shop” just to see what it was like. After all, I had always been the tallest one in every class photo.  I saw two dresses which I loved at a good price on their sale rack, but when I held them up, the street-length dresses flowed down to the floor and out to the side! 

              Well, THAT won’t work, I thought, feeling odd to be the short one.

But along came a sales lady who persuaded me to try them on.  As the lovely sky blue linen dress with a matching sleeveless top accented by white piping, so fashionable and unique at that time; and the softly-tucked beige shirtwaist with a full circle skirt each drooped as morosely as a flag on a rainy November day, I planned a quick getaway - without a purchase.

              Why, oh why, had I ever come here, I wondered.

              “Oh now don’t you worry about that,” hurriedly said the sales lady, eyeing my now small waist and wanting to empty the sale rack. “Our seamstress will fix that up right away for you, at no charge. I know you will like the result – she’s very, very good at what she does.”

              The seamstress did an outstanding job.  I purchased both dresses, feeling a tingle of excitement and joy at my refreshed prettiness-to-be, and proceeded to have my hair styled and cut by the inimitable David.  Every woman needs to have this extravagant feeling once in a while!  Then I picked up my new prescription glasses.

              I arrived early at work the next day wearing the new belted shirtwaist, fitted perfectly to my now small waist, and began to file account cards at the counter of the savings department. 

I became aware of whispers around me, then – from a friend and supervisor I had known for years I heard:

“Ooh!  Something new’s been added!”

I realized that with all the changes at once –my hair, my new glasses, my new dress and figure – no one recognized me!  That was a fun moment for me!  I hoped that I could act in ways on the job which would suit my new look.

The above incident took place many years ago.  May I today allow the Lord to make changes in my character and life so that I walk daily in His refreshing newness and serve Him with passion!

Instead of a new hairstyle, may I have new wisdom; instead of new glasses, new insights and vision; and may I always be dressed in His holiness, kindness to others, love, joy and peace!

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. (Eph. 4: 23,24 KJV).

 

1

 


1

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET