HIS STILL WATERS

HIS STILL WATERS

  When I had just received a large amount of inheritance money-( There was pressure after having had so little for the last while, people asking for things, my trying to atone for past lack by buying expensive jeans for the kids, etc,; a Christian counsellor urging me to do something for myself (I bought china and silver);

 All of a sudden, I found myself on a retreat.  Rien was building a church on a northern reserve, and suggested that I meet him in Souix Lookout, to shorten the time before his return.  I left the teens and my sister with some pizza for supper and took off. 

 Driving all alone,  I enjoyed the serenity of nature, peace, hearing God’s voice saying peaceful, encouraging things, etc.

I stopped for ten minutes to watch a young bear eat by the side of the road; I saw a moose family with baby; an eagle;  I only remember the stillness of the woods, trees, and the wonderful peace it brought me.

  I had a funny feeling that I should have brought a nightgown- by the time I got there, with weather warnings, I was imagining a cozy hotel night with my husband.  However, I discovered that the small plane had turned back rather than attempt to fly in the storm, so there I was, all alone in beautiful downtown(!) Souix Lookout, eating takeout fish and chips, snowflakes landing on the fries, enjoying the beautiful lake and woods, and wondering what to do next.  After a telephone call to my daughter at home, it was decided that I would stay at a motel part way home and come home the next day.  My daughter was motherly, worried about me and taking charge as usual.  I found a “family” motel with a baby stroller and toys on the front lawn, where I felt safe to stay by myself.  Knew I should have packed that nightgown-the nudgings of the Holy Spirit never lie!  A slip would have to do.  I felt so peaceful;, once I realized that the Lord was simply giving me a retreat.  As soon as I stepped inside the door, the peace was replaced by normal busy-ness and the chaos of living.  When Rien returned, he had come to the same conclusion: that God had wanted to give me a retreat.  Soon I had another opportunity to drive to pick Rien up – but this time, the Lord told me to fast and pray.  I guess I ate too many snacks the first time!  After all, a retreat is about time with Him. So thankful for His kindness.

 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET