THE CASE OF THE VERY TALL HYACINTH - a true spring story

THE CASE OF THE VERY TALL HYACINTH

I was teaching in Britt, Ontario and living in a cottage on a campground.  I had had one date with my future husband Rien in January, to celebrate both of our birthdays.  He, a recent widower, had taken a trip to Holland to visit relatives, and had now come up to visit his old friend Harold, my landlord, to help him around the campground and to pursue me - even bringing me a sweet little blue necklace from Holland.  I was avoiding him, not sure about this relationship, and had gone down to Parry Sound, a three-quarters-of- an-hour drive which I had to take to get groceries.  I was on a mission to get a hyacinth, my favourite spring flower, hoping its beauty and fragrance would hurry spring along – at least at  my cottage.  I was not dressed for a date, since I was expecting to be alone.  Well, guess who was in the grocery store, not slicked up either?  Yes, Rien!  On hearing my quest, he, a professional market gardener, determined kindly to help me.  Ploughing through all the hyacinths, he chose an elegant purple one with a straight stalk.  Then we both went our ways. 

              The purple hyacinth grew and grew, its fragrance filling my little cottage.  It grew -and grew – AND grew some more, until it became top-heavy.  It was the tallest, straightest, most splendid hyacinth I have ever seen.

              Was it the hyacinth…or the blue necklace…or just something about that gentle, stable Dutch suitor of mine that won my heart?  Not sure, but we became engaged in March and were married in July.  The Lord has many uses for His lovely flowers, and many ways to bring about His special plans for our lives.  I praise Him! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET