THE HAM

 

THE HAM

(Memories of a new bride: having my parents-in-law over for dinner)

We were living in Wainfleet, Ontario.

I invited my mother- and father-in-law over for dinner.  Isn’t that what you do?  They were living in       .  At first, Opa said, ”No!”  But Oma said, “Why not?” And that was that!

Meanwhile, more than nervous about the dinner, I was planning to serve ham: my father’s special recipe.  Dad was a gourmet cook, and had invented as wonderful recipe for ham, involving basting it with white wine and apple juice.

Rien’s sister Jenny , serving as the go-between, informed me that her parents would be arriving at around 4:30 the day of the dinner.

I think my nervousness came more from my own family background, as the Van Mils were much more casual about everything.

On the day of the dinner, I had a scrumptious dessert made (this being what I am best at).  I was on the telephone throughout the cooking of the huge half ham in the oven.  Dad sensed that this was an important occasion for me, and talked me through the cooking of the amazing ham.

The dinner went well.  Opa didn’t say much, as he was usually short and sweet when he spoke.

The crowning moment of the evening came, therefore, when Opa said:

“Ja, that be good ham!”

Success story – thank you, Dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE MIRACLE JACKET