A MUSICAL MEMORY - A TIME WHEN THE LORD INTERVENED!

 

                                   

A MUSICAL MEMORY – AND HOW THE LORD SAVED THE DAY!

            I am remembering a special time in my life, and how it almost ended in bitterness instead of joy. 

            I had withdrawn from university right before my second year final exams  due to pressures mounting in my life.  I was living at home with my parents, recovering from poor mental health and had not yet begun to look for a job. 

            My dear mother, trained in psychology and having worked with mental patients, knew that I needed something positive to occupy my time.  I took her up on that and decided to study violin at the Hamilton Conservatory of Music, only a half hour drive from Dundas, where we lived.  I had played viola in our high school orchestra for three years, but had never had private lessons. 

            Mr. Chertkoff, the teacher assigned to me, encouraged me to switch to violin, as there was much more music available, and so I joyfully began private lessons with him every Saturday at the conservatory, my parents kindly paying for my lessons at first, until I got a job, and paying for the violin bought from my teacher, one which I still cherish.  It was a joyous day when I received that violin for my birthday!  An adept and highly-motivated adult student, with time to practice five hours a day, and continuing at Mr. Chertkoff’s private studio in the summer,  I had the most fulfilling time of my life - doors slamming down the hall notwithstanding.

            A youth orchestra to feed into the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra was established:  The Hamilton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, for which I auditioned.  For the conductor, a high school flute teacher named Glenn Mallory, I auditioned with my best piece: Meditation from Thais, a Grade Eight piece and one which I loved, and played without piano accompaniment.

            I was accepted!  I was certainly the oldest in the orchestra, but still qualified as youth.  How excited I was!  I was working at a downtown bank by then, so searched all my favourite little shops for the black and white outfit required. I bought a longish black crepe skirt and an ivory crepe blouse with frills down the front and on the sleeves, to be worn with my black heels.

            At the first rehearsal, I found myself seated at the very last seat at the back of the second violin section, behind the ten-year-olds!  Glenn told me “You are not the worst player in the orchestra”, but that is certainly how I felt!

            I told my teacher, Mr. Chertkoff about it.  Apparently, he was angry and went to bat for me, since he was in the Hamilton Philharmonic and knew the conductor, Lee Hepner, who was also the one in charge of the youth orchestra.  At the next rehearsal, I suddenly found that Lee Hepner himself was sitting beside me and listening to me play!  After that I was moved to a decent place in the first violin section. “You look happy”, said Glenn.  After all I was an adult, and would be able to make intelligent decisions as to fingering.

            So that is how one of the most special moments in my life was almost ruined, but thankfully saved. I remained in the orchestra for two years, then suddenly felt too old!  What a joy!

He giveth, and giveth and giveth again.

             

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RED SALAMANDERS AND SNAPPING TURTLES

THE POWER OF LITTLE THINGS

THE MIRACLE JACKET